Today web privacy is very important and can be quickly invaded by hackers and hostile governments. We have to make sure that we are well protected. It is where VPN comes into play. For those unaware, VPN is a short form of Virtual Private Network. To understand ‘What is VPN’ we have to understand what is a network.
What is a network??
A network is a connection. If you have a Wi-Fi connection, you must be having a modem or a router. In our homes, most of us have different gadgets like a phone, tablet, laptops, etc. For example, If you have a wireless connection between your phone and your computer over a WiFi connection, an internal network is formed which is not connected to the outside internet.
The basic concept of the Internet
When we go to a website that is on the Internet, we are accessing the information stored in the data centers or the servers of the respective site. That server can be in different parts of the world. For example, if you are in India you might be accessing servers based in the USA that is halfway across the globe. Here what is happening is whenever you search for a website, a request is sent out to the server of that site. After the server receives the request, the server sends back the data. Then this data is displayed on your device.
Every device that is connected to the Internet has its unique IP address. We can also call this Internet Protocol address. This address helps the server identify the device to which it has to send data. This is the primary concept of how the internet works.
There are also some disadvantages linked to this concept. They are –
- Your internet provider might track your online activities as it has your IP address.
- Your government can also track you.
- If you are on an open WiFi network, then you are vulnerable to cyber attacks. Attackers can steal your data.
- Sometimes, if you visit a site which is banned in your country you get a message saying the same. This happens because the server of that website knows your location and your IP address. The server forbids you to use the site as it is banned in your respective country.
What is VPN?
In such situations, people use VPN. It connects your device to its server (VPN server of the respective company). The network between you and the VPN server is entirely anonymous and encrypted. This way no one can track you including your government and your Internet provider. Most VPN providers allow you to choose from a variety of countries from where you want to project your location or IP address. Then whenever you raise a request to access a site, the server of that site thinks that you are raising a request from the country you selected in your VPN settings.
Benefits of VPN:
- VPN lets you access websites and content that is blocked in your country. Again your Internet provider and your government cannot track your activities online.
- It helps you increase the speed of your Internet. If you’re living in a country where you don’t have access to the high-speed Internet then can VPN help you.
- It almost makes you foolproof against attackers who can steal your data.
If you want to know ‘How to use VPN and How to set it up?’ then click on the link down below.
Thanks for reading our blog. If you have any queries about ‘What is VPN‘ then comment down below. We will be grateful to help. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter for latest updates.