In today’s world where noise is becoming a big problem, we all need a place where we can relax and just enjoy the music we love. We then most of the times reach to our headphones and experience peace while listening to music. But have you ever wondered how these headphones work and why don’t we hear other sounds while listening to music using them? We will tell you how. They work on the basis of noise cancellation.
What Is Noise Cancellation?
To know about noise cancellation, we must first learn about noise. Noise is a sound, especially one that is loud or unpleasant or that causes a disturbance. For example, If I am talking to you in a crowded market, then the sounds other than my voice (coming from the background) will be known as noise. Noise cancellation is a method that erases or reduces the noise coming from the background. So now that you know about noise cancellation let me tell you about noise canceling headphones.
How Noise-canceling Headphones Work??
Noise canceling headphones are those headphones which reduce unwanted ambient sounds that might be disturbing. To cancel the noise, headphones use a technology known as active noise control. Active noise control is a method for reducing unwanted sound or noise by the addition of a second sound. It is like adding a layer of sound to hide the first one.
What are the advantages of noise cancellation?
• Noise cancellation makes it easy or possible for people to listen to music even at a low volume rate. Listening to music at a more moderate volume won’t damage your ears. You also are at a lower risk of getting a headache.
• It can also help people sleep in a noisy environment such as in airlines. It cancels the sounds by reducing them. So don’t forget to carry your headphones when next time you take flight.
• As people would be listening to music at a lower volume, the music experience would be much more vibrant as compared to high volumes.
• It will protect your ears at most times as it will block most of the bad sounds coming from the external environment.
Everything has some advantages and disadvantages. Some limitations of these beautiful creations are as follow –
What Are Some Disadvantages Of Noise Cancellation?
• They are costly as compared to any set of alternative headphones. They are supposed to be ten times more expensive as compared to any pair of alternative headphones which don’t have noise canceling.
• Noise- Cancelling headphones use high power, i.e., they drain the rechargeable batteries very fast. This happens as they need more power to work as compared to other headphones.
•The quality of the music may become an issue to some users. Some people complain that the music played through these is tinny & have the mechanical quality to it. It is because that the music is processed and then altered to our ears.
•Although, these noise-canceling headphones block noise. But it doesn’t mean that they block every noise. They are not able to cancel or block sounds which are of very high frequency. People who are after a complete silence, these headphones may not achieve your expectations.
So this was our view on noise cancellation and noise-canceling headphones. This technology may not be entirely developed, but we recommend our users to buy them. The only reason why we recommend them is that they cancel out most of the sounds, and they will give you a way richer experience as compared to any other headphone which doesn’t has noise cancellation.
On a 1978 flight to Europe, Amar Bose, the founder of Bose Corporation, put on a pair of airline-supplied headphones, only to find that the roar of the jet engines prevented him from enjoying the audio. He started making calculations right there on the plane to see if it was possible to use the headphones themselves as a noise-reducing agent. Bose introduced the first noise-canceling headphones a decade later.
Thank you for reading. Don’t forget to tell us in the comments if you found this blog useful. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter!